Saturday, May 21, 2011

What makes a civilization great

Many things.

Today I want to look at the educational values it stresses. What do we teach our children to become?

And I must admit to being a bit out of date on this one. I have read, some, of the frustration over ever-mounting piles of homework being assigned to children, of the extreme competition to get into good colleges, etc. All of this argues against my thesis (which I present in the next paragraph). So I admit that I might just be wrong on this one.

Still, when I look at what kind of people our society celebrates, what do I see? Entertainers are near the top of the list. OH, I very much know and appreciate the sense of victory a winning sports team gives to its fans, a sense which carries over into everything they do. Sports are valuable in that respect. As a fitness nerd myself, I also see the great benefit that athletics offers to any activity.

But sports stars do not build a society.

Movie stars. They give us the power of dreams, opening our hearts to new horizons.

But they do not build a civilzation.

We should give more credit, more hero-worship to the skills which do. Math, science, engineering. People who solve real problems, who can help us meet our energy needs, live in better houses, create the foundation upon which we can enjoy our life and liberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment