Saturday, May 21, 2011

Where do good ideas come from --Steven Johnson

This is actually the bit which convinced me to put all my reading into my blog. Apparently, in Darwin's time, it was common for scientists to keep a diary of the ideas they were reading and/or thinking about. They could then review the diary.

Why this matters? It is the flow/connection of ideas which leads to their genius. Scenius, as it were, is the only thing.

Here is a quote from Johnson's book:
"This is not the wisdom of the crowd, but the wisdom of someonein the crowd. It’s not that the network itself is smart; it’s that the individuals get smarter because they are connected to the network"

My thoughts exactly on the 'wisdom' of the crowds.

OH, and a meme which has appeared in several of the talks. Pre-human, evolution was a matter of genes. In humans, we also have cultural evolution.

Now I am not sure than other animals don't have culture, in fact there is quite a bit of evidence that they do, but I still get the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment