Monday, June 20, 2011

More Sustainability

John Gray RSA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_N._Gray

More Sustainability. Doesn't this sound good? Don't you want it? Don't you want more of it?

Expands on his philosophy that "volition, and hence morality, as an illusion, and portrays humanity as a ravenous species engaged in wiping out other forms of life. Gray writes that 'humans ... cannot destroy the Earth, but they can easily wreck the environment that sustains them" -- from the Wikipedia article

Not every human culture has been built on capitalism. But is there another way?

What about science as the new magic

"The core of the belief in progress is that human values and goals converge in parallel with our increasing knowledge... Science made possible the technologies that powered the industrial revolution. In the twentieth century, these technologies were used to implement state terror and genocide on an unprecedented scale. Ethics and politics do not advance in line with the growth of knowledge — not even in the long run."


Which reminds me of my earlier thoughts on The Lord of the Rings as the death song of the agrarian society. Harry Potter is the new king. I just noticed that HP has few animals, and even fewer nature references. Yes, tons of magical creatures, but there is such a strong urban basis. And, as I have remarked earlier, HP is strictly visual, while LOTR is auditory, a collection of the best folk tales and characters of 500 years of civilization.

Which brought me to wonder what the folk tales of the new world should be, when everything is in the grid.

Today is rainy.

And the song for the day. Landslide, by Fleetwood Mac, whose only good album (Rumors) was written as their marriages were falling apart. (ok, Tusk was also pretty good).

"Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail thru the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?"

see also Dreams
"Now here I go again, I see the crystal visions
I keep my visions to myself
It's only me who wants to wrap around your dreams and
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
Dreams of Loneliness like a heartbeat, drives you mad
In the stillness of remembering
What you had
and what you lost
And what you had
Oh what you lost.

...

When the rain washes you clean you'll know
You'll know.."

Did I mention that it has been raining (and cold) for the last 2 weeeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment